Rhubarb - Berry Crisp (GF & Vegan)
As I spent the afternoon gardening (my favourite break from work these days) our rhubarb plant, which is growing like a weed was begging me to make something! So were our red & black currant... So I decided to give it a go, what can possibly go wrong! Crisp desserts are one of my favourite desserts (and you can add a scoop of vanilla ice cream or coconut yogurt!).
You can easily swap the currants with strawberries or a bag of frozen mixed berries (blackberries, raspberries, blueberries...).
Rhubarb Berry Crisp:
For the filling -
2 cups chopped rhubarb
2 1/2 cups berries (if using frozen, rinse under cold water in a colander)
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp arrowroot powder
1 tbsp lemon zest
1 tsp vanilla
2-3 tbsp honey or maple syrup
For the crisp topping -
1 cup gluten free oats
1/2 cup almond flour
1/4 cup desiccated coconut
1/4 cup chopped nuts (almonds, brazil nuts, walnuts, pecans - whatever you have)
3 tbsp coconut sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
Pinch of salt
4 tbsp coconut oil
1. Preheat oven to 180 C and grease an 8x8 (or similar size) baking dish.
2. First, make the filling. In a large bowl, combine rhubarb, berries and the rest of the ingredients. Stir gently to combine then place in the baking dish.
3. In a medium bowl combine the crisp ingredients, without the coconut oil. Once mixed, add the coconut oil and mix until all of the oil is evenly distributed. Add to the top of the fruit in an even layer.
4. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until topping is browned and rhubarb berry mixture is bubbling.
5. Let cool for 10 minutes and serve with vanilla ice cream (dairy free if vegan) or coconut yogurt
* Leftovers will keep in the fridge for several days
Treat yourself to Rhubarb Berry Crisp,
It is a great dessert for summertime!