Rainbow Swiss Chard & Chickpeas
Rainbow Swiss Chard! It is really one most beautiful vegetables! Every colour contributes a beneficial compound to our body. There are 19+ different types of antioxidants in Swiss Chard and is a powerful supply of 7 of the most essential vitamins & minerals you need for everything from your muscles to your brain! But I won't bore you with more nutrition facts, cause the most important thing is that it's not only pretty but it's also DELICIOUS!
I love the combination of chickpeas and chard, and together with rice and you have a complete meal (veg/greens + protein + grain)! A really simple easy 4 ingredient recipe, which is also warm, comforting, filling, and a great energy booster.
And it doesn’t require hours out of your day or expensive ingredients... simple and yum!
Swiss Chard & Chickpeas Recipe:
A big bunch of Swiss Chard (I used all the Chard I had, see 1st picture) - washed
1/2 cup of soaked overnight than cooked chickpeas or used canned chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
1 big onion - thinly sliced
4 big garlic cloves - minced
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp lemon
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Tear the stems from the leaves and chop the stems crosswise into about 1/2-inch pieces (set aside)
2. Stack the leaves and coarsely chop them. Keep the stems and leaves separate (set aside)
3. In a larges skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic, stirring, until they are softened, about 2 minutes
4. Add in the chard stems, stirring occasionally, until the stems soften, about 4 minutes
5. Add the cooked chickpeas and the leaves. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chard is tender, about 5 minutes.
6. Add salt, pepper and lemon. Taste and season more if needed (might need more lemon or olive oil)
7. Serve hot with grain of your choice, I personally love it with brown rice but you can use white rice, quinoa, couscous, pasta, bulgur, etc.