Coconut Turmeric Butternut Squash Winter Soup
Butternut squash is one of those vegetables that are always on my shopping list! Its long shelf life makes it very convenient to have at home for those days you find yourself with an empty fridge and have no time or your'e too tired to go to the supermarket. As part of my self care I love having my few go-to 'pantry meals' and this soup definitely meets the requirements - quick, easy to make and oh so delicious!
Here's the recipe: (serves 4-5)
1 butternut squash 1 can 200 ml coconut milk 1/2 - 1 cup (240 ml) boiling water (depends how thick you want it to be) 1/2 sprig fresh rosemary 1/2 – 1 inch (1-2 cm) fresh ginger (peeled and finely chopped) 1 medium - big onion (finely chopped)
2 garlic cloves (finely sliced)
1 tbsp coconut oil
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp chilli flakes (optional) sea salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F)
2. Divide the butternut in half and remove the seeds with a spoon. Place both halves on a baking tray with the cut side down. Bake in the oven for 25-40 minutes (depends on the size of the butternut) - till the skin is bubbly and slightly browned
3. Sauté the onion in the coconut oil with the turmeric, chilli flakes and rosemary until transparent and soft
4. Add the garlic and ginger to the onion, sauté until soft
5. Remove the butternut from the oven, let cool for a couple of minutes and spoon out the flesh
6. Place all the ingredients (butternut squash, sautéed onion/garlic/ginger, coconut milk, salt
& pepper, 1/2 cup water) in a food processor a strong blender on high speed until completely smooth.
Add extra water, if needed.
7. Return the soup to a pot, season to taste and simmer for 3-5 minutes.
Tried this recipe and loved it? I'd love to hear from you!